This area of emphasis is an online format and is designed for individuals working or desiring to work in school, university, and community sports programs. Coursework includes the understanding of key issues involved in educational athletics and further developing leadership and coaching skills.
The M.A.Ed. requires 36 credit hours (12 courses) and can be completed in 1-2 years depending on the number of courses taken each semester. Each course is held in an 8-week session, and each semester (fall, spring, summer) has 2 sessions. The Education Core courses are offered either online or face-to-face each semester. Face-to-face courses are held one day a week from 5:00 pm to 7:50 p.m. at the West Liberty University Highlands Center.
Education Core Courses (18 hours)
Each of these required courses are offered every semester.
- EDUC 502 Professional Writing
- EDUC 503 Technology Applications
- EDUC 506 Motivation and the Development of Creativity
- EDUC 512 Assessment and Analysis for Teaching – Learning
- EDUC 553 Law and Liability
- EDUC 581 Research and Capstone (must be taken during the last semester)
Area of Emphasis Courses (18 hours)
- SLC 500 Foundations of Coaching
- SLC 520 Athletic Administration
- SLC 530 Psychosociology of Sport
- SLC 540 Conditioning Principles
- SLC 550 Injury Prevention and Safety
- EDL Human Resources and Personnel Issues OR EDL 589 Community and Media Relations
For more information, please contact the advisor for this area of emphasis:
Dr. Catherine Monteroso
Associate Professor of Physical Education
West Liberty University
Office: 402 ASRC