This area of emphasis is designed to enhance the knowledge and skills of educators who already possess a degree and/or certification in special education. Educators select advanced, special education courses from a variety of specialized courses, which provide advanced knowledge, practical skills, and evidence-based practices.
Common Core Courses (18 Credit Hours)
- EDUC 506 Motivation and the Development of Creativity
- EDUC 502 Professional Writing
- EDUC 503 Technology Applications
- EDUC 512 Assessment and Analysis for Teaching – Learning
- EDUC 553 Law and Liability
- EDUC 581 Research and Capstone
Area of Emphasis (12 Credit Hours)
- SPED 532 Historical Perspectives and Case Law
Select 3 of the Following from List Below
- SPED 544 Art, Disability, & Therapy
- SPED 549 Peer Tutoring in the Inclusive Classroom
- SPED 560 Closing the Research to Practice Gap (Pre-Requisite: Permission of Program Director)
- SPED 562 Advanced Techniques in Orton Gillingham
- SPED 566 Applied Behavior Analysis in Special Education (Pre-Requisite: Permission of Program Director)
- SPED 574 Assistive Technology
- SPED 576 Supervision and Mentoring of Special Education Teachers
- SPED 577 Response to Intervention and Positive Behavior Support Plans
Electives (6 Credit Hours)
- Graduate courses from West Liberty University or another regionally accredited college or university that offers graduate courses may be accepted. The graduate student should consult with their academic advisor for approval of elective courses.
Click to see the complete Graduate Course Descriptions (page 213 – 218).
Click to download the complete Planning Check Sheet.
Each of the classes are 3 credit-hours. They will meet as face to face and on-line to equal fifteen (15) sessions during an eight week time period during a regular semester or a six week time period during a summer session. When the courses meet face to face they will be conducted at the West Liberty Highlands Center in Wheeling, WV.
Complete the Degree Plan at the completion of 18 hours. This plan needs to be given to your Graduate Advisor for signature and then submitted to the Director of Graduate Education. You will receive a signed copy in return to confirm the acceptance of your courses and remaining program requirements. Official transcripts are required to be to be sent to WLU’s registrar before any transfer credits can be added to your West Liberty University transcript. Click to download Degree Plan form.
For more information, please contact:
Dr. Leann Elkins
Associate Professor and Coordinator of MA.Ed. Program
West Liberty University Highlands Center
Office Number 224
College Union Box 198
355 Wharton Circle – Suite 200
Triadelphia, WV 26059
304-217-2800 EXT 5