No new applications for this area of emphasis are being accepted as of September 1, 2016.
This area of emphasis is designed to enhance the knowledge and skills of educators who already possess a degree and/or certification in special education. Educators select advanced, special education courses from a variety of specialized courses, which provide advanced knowledge, practical skills, and evidence-based practices.
The M.A.Ed. requires 36 credit hours (12 courses) and can be completed in 1-2 years depending on the number of courses taken each semester. Each course is held in an 8-week session, and each semester (fall, spring, summer) has 2 sessions. The Education Core courses are offered either online or face-to-face each semester. Face-to-face courses are held one day a week from 5:00 p.m. to 7:50 p.m. at the West Liberty University Highlands Center.
Education Core Courses (18 hours)
Each of these required courses are offered every semester.
- EDUC 502 Professional Writing
- EDUC 503 Technology Applications
- EDUC 506 Motivation and the Development of Creativity
- EDUC 512 Assessment and Analysis for Teaching – Learning
- SPED 532 Historical Perspectives and Case Law
- EDUC 581 Research and Capstone (must be taken during the last semester)
Area of Emphasis Courses (18 hours)
Select 6 of the following courses:
- SPED 501 Autism I (summer I)
- SPED 502 Autism II (summer III)
- SPED 549 Collaborative Learning and Peer Tutoring in the Inclusive Classroom (spring II online)
- SPED 566 Applied Behavior Analysis and Positive Behavior Supports (spring I online)
- SPED 574 Assistive Technology Evaluation and Implementation (summer III online)
- SPED 575 Transition Services for Students with Disabilities (fall II online)
- SPED 577 Response to Intervention (fall I online)
- READ 562 Structured Literacy and Phonics (fall I)
For more information, please contact the advisor for this area of emphasis:
Dr. Leann DiAndreth-Elkins
Associate Professor of Education and Coordinator of M.A.Ed. Program
West Liberty University Highlands Center
Office Number 224
304-217-2800 ext. 3