This major is designed for students who are interested in faith-based leadership and want to become leaders in community-based organizations related to faith, promoting the service, care, and education of children, adolescents, and life-long learners.
Students in Educational Leadership in Faith Organizations can work as Youth Ministries (e.g., at an institution like C3 – Covenant Community Church).
The Bachelor of Arts in Community Education degree program with Educational Leadership in Faith Organizations major at West Liberty University will be a 120 credit hour course of study.
The coursework includes:
- 63 credit hours of general studies courses
- 36 credit hours common core requirements
- 21 credit hours of major studies
Included in the 36 credit hours of common core requirements are 4 credit hours of internship/international community experience in the Educational Leadership in Faith Organizations major.
Common Core Courses (36 Credit Hours)
- EDUC 201 Human Development (3 hrs)
- SPED 241 Exceptionalities and Diversities (3 hrs)
- EDUC 301 Educational Psychology (3 hrs)
- ENT 350 Entrepreneurship and Law (3 hrs)
- CEP 411 Formal & Non-Formal Education Models (3 hrs)
- CEP 421 Promoting Creativity & the Arts (3 hrs)
- CEP 422 Outdoor Learning Spaces (2 hrs)
- CEP 433 Program Design & Implementation (3 hrs)
- CEP 442 Community Empowerment & Engagement (3 hrs)
- CEP 443 Fundraising & Grant Writing (3 hrs)
- CEP 463 Rethinking 21st Century Education (3 hrs)
- CEP 493 Internship/ International Community Experience (4 hrs)
Major Studies (21 Credit Hours)
- CEP 312 Fundamentals of Educational Leadership in Faith-Organizations (3 hrs)
- CEP 322 From Chants to Cymbals
- CEP 333 Challenges of Educational Leadership in Faith-Organizations (3 hrs)
- CEP 353 Curriculum and Service Learning (3 hrs)
- CEP 363 Dealing with Skeptical Questions (3 hrs)
- REL 250 Religions of the World (3 hrs)
Select 1 of the Following from List Below
- REL 301 Literature of the Hebrew Bible (3 hrs)
- REL 310 New Testament Literature (3 hrs) Prerequisite: ENG 102
- REL 335 Religions of America (3 hrs)
- REL 450 Philosophy of Religion (3 hrs)
- REL 478 Special Topics (3 hrs)
- REL 479 Special Problems (3 hrs)
Click to view and download the complete Planning Check Sheet.
West Liberty University’s Bachelor of Arts in Community Education Program follows the 120 credit hour model for a bachelor’s degree and is designed for completion in three academic years. Despite the intention of this program to be an accelerated three-year program, students who wish to expand their studies to four years have the option to do so, by not taking summer classes but adding a fourth year of Fall IV and/or Spring IV classes.
Community Education’s Educational Leadership in Faith Organizations Partnership
- Corpus Christi School, Wheeling, WV
- Covenant Community Church, Wheeling, WV
- West Liberty University Catholic Campus Ministry, West Liberty, WV
For more information, please contact:
Director of Community Education
Dr. Miriam Roth Douglas
West Liberty University
308 Main Hall
208 University Drive
Campus Union Box 162
West Liberty, WV 26074