This major is designed for students who are interested in work related to disabilities and want to become leaders in community-based organizations working with people with disabilities, while at the same time promoting the service, care, and education of children, adolescents, and life-long learners.
Students in Disabilities Services have the opportunity to become Disabilities Service Consultants or Transition Specialists (e.g., Easter Seals).
The Bachelor of Arts in Community Education degree program with Disabilities Services major at West Liberty University will be a 120 credit hour course of study.
The coursework includes:
- 63 credit hours of general studies courses
- 36 credit hours common core requirements
- 21 credit hours of major studies
Included in the 36 credit hours of common core requirements are 4 credit hours of internship/international community experience in the Community Arts major.
Common Core Courses (36 Credit Hours)
- EDUC 201 Human Development (3 hrs)
- SPED 241 Exceptionalities and Diversities (3 hrs)
- EDUC 301 Educational Psychology (3 hrs)
- ENT 350 Entrepreneurship and Law (3 hrs)
- CEP 411 Formal & Non-Formal Education Models (3 hrs)
- CEP 421 Promoting Creativity & the Arts (3 hrs)
- CEP 422 Outdoor Learning Spaces (2 hrs)
- CEP 433 Program Design & Implementation (3 hrs)
- CEP 442 Community Empowerment & Engagement (3 hrs)
- CEP 443 Fundraising & Grant Writing (3 hrs)
- CEP 463 Rethinking 21st Century Education (3 hrs)
- CEP 493 Internship/ International Community Experience (4 hrs)
Major Studies (21 Credit Hours)
- SPED 341 Policies and Procedures in SPED* (3 hrs)
- SPED 343 Assistive and Adaptive Technology for Students with Exceptionalities* (3 hrs)
- SPED 348 Curriculum, Methods, and Assessment for Students with Behavior Needs*# (3 hrs)
- SPED 440 Transition Services for Students with Exceptionalities* (3 hrs)
- SPED 355 Curriculum and Methods and Assessment for Students with Academic Needs*# (3 hrs)
- SPED 391 Current Issues and Trends in Special Education* (3 hrs)
Select 1 of the Following from List Below
- SPED 345 Occupational and Recreational Training High Incidence Disabilities* (3 hrs)
- SPED 353 Education for the Gifted I (3 hrs)
- SPED 401 Autism I (3 hrs)
- SPED 478 Special Topics (3 hrs)
* indicates that SPED 241 Exceptionalities and Diversities is a pre-requisite.
# indicates that SPED 341 Policies and Procedures in SPED is a pre-requisite.
Click to view and download the complete Planning Check Sheet.
West Liberty University’s Bachelor of Arts in Community Education Program follows the 120 credit hour model for a bachelor’s degree and is designed for completion in three academic years. Despite the intention of this program to be an accelerated three-year program, students who wish to expand their studies to four years have the option to do so, by not taking summer classes but adding a fourth year of Fall IV and/or Spring IV classes.
Community Education’s Disabilities Services Partnership
- Easter Seals, Wheeling, WV
- REM, Wheeling, WV
For more information, please contact:
Director of Community Education
Dr. Miriam Roth Douglas
West Liberty University
308 Main Hall
208 University Drive
Campus Union Box 162
West Liberty, WV 26074