This major is designed for students who are interested in sports, recreation, and wellness and want to become leaders in community-based organizations related to these three fields, promoting the service, care, and education of children, adolescents, and life-long learners.
Students in Sports, Recreation, and Wellness can become Program Directors of Sports, Recreation, and Wellness Programs and Institutions (e.g., YMCA).
The Bachelor of Arts in Community Education degree program with Sports, Recreation, and Wellnessat major at West Liberty University will be a 120 credit hour course of study.
The coursework includes:
- 63 credit hours of general studies courses
- 36 credit hours common core requirements
- 21 credit hours of major studies
Included in the 36 credit hours of common core requirements are 4 credit hours of internship/international community experience in the Sports, Recreation, and Wellness major.
Common Core Courses (36 Credit Hours)
- EDUC 201 Human Development (3 hrs)
- SPED 241 Exceptionalities and Diversities (3 hrs)
- EDUC 301 Educational Psychology (3 hrs)
- ENT 350 Entrepreneurship and Law (3 hrs)
- CEP 411 Formal & Non-Formal Education Models (3 hrs)
- CEP 421 Promoting Creativity & the Arts (3 hrs)
- CEP 422 Outdoor Learning Spaces (2 hrs)
- CEP 433 Program Design & Implementation (3 hrs)
- CEP 442 Community Empowerment & Engagement (3 hrs)
- CEP 443 Fundraising & Grant Writing (3 hrs)
- CEP 463 Rethinking 21st Century Education (3 hrs)
- CEP 493 Internship/ International Community Experience (4 hrs)
Major Studies (21 Credit Hours)
- PE 211 Group Fitness Leadership (2 hrs)
- SDE 232 First Aid & Emergency Services (Certification in First Aid & CPR) (3 hrs)
- PE 240 Anatomy (3 hrs)
- PE 280 Recreation Camp/ Outdoor Leisure Pursuits (3 hrs)
- PE 345 Physiology of Exercise or EP 299 Basic Strength and Conditioning (3 hrs)
- HE 360 Community & Environmental Health (3 hrs)
- PE 382 Principles of Recreation (2 hrs)
- HE 470 Current Health Issues Seminar (1 hr)
Select 1 of the Following from List Below
- PE 117 Individual and Recreational Sports (1 hr)
- PE 225 Lifeguarding (American Red Cross Certification in Lifeguarding) (1 hr)
- PE 320 Principles of Coaching (1 hr)
- PE 322 Organization and Administration of Physical Education, Intramurals, and Athletics (1 hr)
Click to view and download the complete Planning Check Sheet.
West Liberty University’s Bachelor of Arts in Community Education Program follows the 120 credit hour model for a bachelor’s degree and is designed for completion in three academic years. Despite the intention of this program to be an accelerated three-year program, students who wish to expand their studies to four years have the option to do so, by not taking summer classes but adding a fourth year of Fall IV and/or Spring IV classes.
Community Education’s Sports, Recreation, and Wellness Partnership
- Oglebay Institute, Wheeling, WV
- West Liberty University Exercise Physiology and Athletic Training, West Liberty, WV
- Wheeling Recreation Department, Wheeling, WV
For more information, please contact:
Director of Community Education
Dr. Miriam Roth Douglas
West Liberty University
105 Shotwell Hall
208 University Drive
Campus Union Box 162
West Liberty, WV 26074