Division of Art scholarship 2012West Liberty University’s Division of Art announces the availability of a four-year scholarship for a graduating high school senior who wishes to major in art at West Liberty University. The competition is open to all graduating seniors, and is not limited to residents of West Virginia. Applicants must have submitted an application for admittance to WLU.
Students must submit a portfolio of at least six pieces of original work. The winner, as determined by the art faculty, will receive a four-year renewable art scholarship and a Housing Grant to study art at West Liberty University. Housing grants cover at least 80% of the total room cost only, and pay nothing toward board. Second and third place awards of Housing Grants may be granted if available and appropriate.
- Portfolios will be accepted in the Fine Arts Office, room 207, Hall of Fine Arts, November 29th and 30th, 2012 between the hours of 9AM and 4PM.
- Judging will take place on December 3rd.
- Finalists will be notified by the end of the workday December 3rd and must be available for a personal, on-campus interview between the dates of December 5th and 7th.
- The decision of the judges will be announced by December 10th 2012.
Those not selected, as finalists must pick up their portfolios no later than December 7th in room 207, Hall of Fine Arts between 9AM and 4PM.
Please direct any questions to Professor Brian Fencl, Department Chair, Department of Journalism, Communication Studies and Visual Art, West Liberty University, (304) 336-8433, Email [email protected]
A WLU four-year scholarship equals approximately $1400 per year for an in-state student or $3360 per year for an out-of-state student. The value of a WLU Housing Grant is approximately worth $3240 per year.
Presentation of the portfolio is very important, consider this just like a personal interview.
- Portfolios can be submitted by mail as CD’s. All submissions must be received by November 30th at 4PM. CD’s can be mailed to: Brian Fencl, 208 University Dr., Campus Union Box 125, West Liberty, WV 26074. Please include your contact information on your CD case. CD’s will not be returned.
- All works submitted must be clearly labeled with the artist’s name, telephone number and email address.
- Digital and video work can be submitted on a CD/DVD. Original work will need to be presented if selected for an on-campus interview.
- Do not include torn or poorly cared for work.
- Include your best and most recent work. Ask for the opinions of teachers, parents and friends. The jurors are looking at the quality of the work and not the quantity of work submitted.
- Inclusion of a sketchbook is helpful for the jurors to see artistic potential.
Additional information about the West Liberty University Visual Art program can be found by visiting http://westliberty.edu/art.