Visual Art Freshmen Scholarship Competition
2011-12 Art Scholarship Competition
West Liberty University’s Division of Art announces the availability of a four-year scholarship for a graduating high school senior who wishes to major in art at West Liberty University. The competition is open to all graduating seniors, and is not limited to residents of West Virginia. Applicants must have submitted an application for admittance to WLU.
Students must submit a portfolio of at least six pieces of original work. The winner, as determined by the art faculty, will receive a four-year renewable art scholarship and a Housing Grant to study art at West Liberty University. Housing grants cover at least 80% of the total room cost only, and pay nothing toward board. Second and third place awards of Housing Grants may be granted if available and appropriate.
- Portfolios will be accepted in the Fine Arts Office, room 207, Hall of Fine Arts, November 28th and 29th, 2011 between the hours of 9 a.m. and 4 p.m..
- Judging will take place on November 30th.
- Finalists will be notified by the end of the workday December 2nd and must be available for a personal, on‐campus interview between the dates of December 5th and 7th.
- The decision of the judges will be announced by December 10th 2010.Those not selected as finalists must pick up their portfolios no later than December 8th in room 207, Hall of Fine Arts between 9 a.m. and 4 p.m..
Please direct any questions to Professor Brian Fencl, Interim Department Chair, Department of Journalism, Communication Studies and Visual Art, West Liberty University, (304) 336-8433, Email [email protected]
A WLU four-year scholarship equals approximately $1290 per year for an in-state student or $3360 per year for an out-of-state student. The value of a WLU Housing Grant is approximately worth $2520 per year.
Presentation of the portfolio is very important, consider this just like a personal interview.
• All works submitted must be clearly labeled with the artist’s name, telephone number and email address.
• Digital and video work can be submitted on a CD/DVD.
• Do not include torn or poorly cared for work.
• Include your best and most recent work. Ask for the opinions of teachers, parents and friends. The jurors are looking at the quality of the work and not the quantity of work submitted. Unfinished work that shows the potential of the idea is acceptable.
• Inclusion of a sketchbook is helpful for the jurors to see artistic potential.
Scholarship Opportunities 2011-12
The West Liberty University Alumni Association offers two scholarships:
1. Alumni Association Scholarship- The purpose of the West Liberty University Alumni Association Scholarship Award is to recognize and reward junior and senior students of West Liberty University who demonstrate the highest levels of academic and personal achievement and have the potential to become active alumni, who will support the institution and contribute to their communities.
Applications for the Alumni Association Scholarship are due no later than Friday, March 4, 2011.
2. Freshman Legacy Scholarship- The purpose of the West Liberty University Alumni Association Freshman Legacy Scholarship is to recruit, recognize, and reward incoming freshmen who demonstrate the highest levels of academic and personal achievement and have the potential to become active alumni who will support the institution and contribute to their communities while providing a tangible Alumni Association membership benefit for West Liberty University alumni and their relatives.
Applications for the Freshman Legacy Scholarship are due no later than Friday, March 4, 2011.
Instructions, criteria, and eligibility are listed on the application. Each scholarship maybe awarded to more than one student.
Please contact the Alumni Office at 866-WESTLIB option 6, 304-336-8079, or [email protected], if any questions or concerns.
INFORMATION IS ALSO AVAILABLE AT: http://www.westliberty.edu/alumni/alumni-and-friends/scholarship-opportunities/
Additional scholarship information can be found on the West Liberty Admissions page.