Thomas A. Grall Sr.
January 26, 1935-January 6, 2017
Husband, Father, Grandfather, Brother, Techer, Hall’s of Fame Coach, Businessman, U.S. Navy Veteran, friend to many.
Born to Mary Preen Grall and Patrick Joseph Grall of Cranford New Jersey, January 26th 1935.
Married to Margaret Knight Grall on August 26 1961 in Bethany West Virginia.
Two children: Thomas A. Grall Jr. and Life Partner Laura Fitch, sons Joshua Thomas Grall, and Tommy Grall III, Imperial Beach California. Jane Anne Grall Frye, husband Jamie Frye and daughter Maggie Frye, Del Sur, California.
Few men have received more joy in a life time…Thank you to my wife, our children, grandchildren, son-in-law and close family and friends. Thank you to my sisters and their families. You have given so much to my life. Paddy Hamilton, Spring Lake, NJ: Mary Grace Killmer, husband John, Spring Lake NJ: Lt CDR USN, Gene Grall deceased: The Honorable Jane Grall and husband The Honorable Edward Neafsey, Avon by the Sea NJ, Dr. Anne Reichel, Husband Jack, Lincolnshire IL. Thank you also to my students, Athletes, Colleagues, Friends and family who have blessed our lives. I have learned much from you.
Graduate, St. Benedicts Prep, Newark NJ, 1952: Graduate B.S. Springfield College Mass, 1960, Graduate Westfield State College, Westfield Mass, M. Ed 1964. US Navy Active duty, 1955-1957’ Survival Swimming Instructor, Honorable Discharge from US Navy 1953-1960. Hall of Fame Coach, 24 years, Businessman 26 years.
Numerous Awards and Honors:
• National Association of Intercollegiate Athletics Hall of Fame, Inducted 1990.
• West Liberty State University, WV Athletic Hall of Fame, Inducted 1990 Football, Defensive Coach, Swimming Coach
• International Swimming Hall of Fame, FLA for “Outstanding Achievement and Meritorious Coaching” Service Award 1990.
• Bethany College WV Athletic Hall of Fame, Swimming Coach and Offensive Football Coach, Inducted, 1997.
• President, National Association of Intercollegiate Athletics: Swimming Coaches Assoc. 1973-74
• United States Olympic Swimming Games Committee, 1972 and 1976
• USA Swimming Team Coaching Staff: World University Games, Turin Italy, 1970.
• S.C.I.A.C. Water Polo Coach of the Year, 1974 and 1975.
• Numerous Sales awards during 26 years of service, 3M Company, Minnesota.
“An Irish Dream”
As we stand on the shores on the Emerald Isle
I saw on your face a wonderful smile
You couldn’t believe your dream had come true
Together sharing the hills were so green and the water so blue.
I said to you “if I died this day on this Isle, my true Irish heart would go with a smile”
In lieu of flowers please send contributions to the West Liberty University Foundation in Coach Tom Grall’s name.